Tuesday 10 April 2018

Paper planes and cereal boxes

If you're like me, you're not a craft person. I like making things for sure but if it doesn't have a purpose I can't get into it. Basically, if I can't eat it or wear it I'm out with a few exceptions. From that description, you might guess I do not like doing children's crafts. I do not enjoy the stress and mess of a project only to throw it away a few days later. My kids, on the other hand, love it, and I love that they love to create. I try to walk the middle ground with limited pom poms, pipe cleaners, paste, and paint. Glitter is pretty much banned.

When I came across these library books, I was thrilled because they seemed just the ticket. First,  Air Shark!: Novice-level Paper Airplanes by Marie Buckingham (and there are three more in the series with increasing difficulty!) I'm sure any beginning paper airplane book would be good for kindergarten age, but we've enjoyed this one in particular. Most of the designs my kid can do on his own, and the ones that are too hard to get just right aren't a big deal for me to jump in on.



Here is a sample of the different airplanes my kid folded while he was supposed to be doing math. Yes, those are his math pages... (top right plane is the Air Shark featured above)

The other book we like is Explore the World with Cardboard and Duct Tape by Leslie Manlapig (more in this series too, which are currently on hold at the library for me). We tone this one down by using cereal boxes instead of straight up cardboard and masking tape instead of duct tape. Both are easier to work with, particularly for a child.




These crafts are fun because you can go all out with them or be just as successful using the trash in your "craft drawer." I bet you know which route I take. Then in a few days when the fun has run out you can chuck them and kids start all over with something new. Happy crafting! You know, if you're one of those people.

No comments:

Post a Comment